Director, Center on Science, Technology, Policy & Society
Duke University Initiative for Science & Society
Tuesday, January 15, 2019
Administrative, Education, Policy
Minimum Degree Requirements
We have an exciting opportunity for a Center Director of a new Center for Science, Technology, Policy & Society at the Duke Initiative for Science & Society in conjunction with the Sanford School of Public Policy at Duke in Durham, North Carolina. The Center Director will lead the new Center, located within the Duke Initiative for Science & Society, with an emphasis on advocating for and contributing to activities that focus on the intersection of science and policy, as well as science and societal interest. A signature program of the Center is the website SciPol.org, which tracks active legislation, regulation, and court judgments.
Under the Center umbrella are executive education programs, new course offerings, new pedagogical tools for undergraduate and graduate students, the summer policy academy for Duke PhD students, and a summer policy institute for undergraduate, graduate, and post-doctoral students. The Center Director is responsible for: strategy and intellectual direction of all center programs; the policies under which they operate; annual budgeting and grant oversight; development of fundraising opportunities; and hiring, staff development, and supervision of the Center. The Center Director will serve as a member of the Science & Society leadership team, and report to the Director of the Duke Initiative for Science & Society. The Center Director will be appointed in Science & Society and as a Professor of the Practice at Sanford School of Public Policy to commence July 1, 2019.
This opportunity is appropriate for individuals who are experienced in the principles and process of developing science and technology policy, who is an innovative and entrepreneurial program builder. The successful candidate will possess leadership and project management skills, in addition to a talent for public speaking, network building, fundraising, writing and communication.
- Develop and implement vision for new Center on Science, Technology, Policy & Society
- Oversee Center operations and all Center programs, including SciPol.org, SciPol executive education and summer programs, new courses, and pedagogical modules.
- Research, develop, and apply for Center and Center program funding opportunities.
- Develop, implement, and oversee new Center programs related to Science, Technology, Policy & Society.
- Develop new partnerships, both internally at Duke University, and with external foundations, organizations, funders, and institutions.
- Network, promote, and market Center to relevant stakeholders.
- Oversee Center course offerings.
- Develop course modules on Science and Technology Policy for undergraduate and graduate students