Unisom vs Tylenol PM Summary:
Unisom and Tylenol PM both provide effective sleep aid solutions, with Unisom focusing purely on sleep and Tylenol PM offering additional pain relief. The dosages of active ingredients are similar in both and are within the optimal range. Unisom offers both drug and non-drug options which gives it the edge over Tylenol PM for us. Prices vary by retailer but are generally affordable, ranging between $10-20 for both products. Both are safe for short-term use with appropriate caution. The non-drug version of Unisom is also relatively healthy for daily use. If pain is your main issue then Tylenol PM is obviously the better choice, but it’s not ideal for long-term use.
What do we recommend?
About the Products
Both Unisom and Tylenol PM are over-the-counter sleep aids, designed to help you fall asleep when you’re struggling with occasional sleeplessness. They’re popular options with many loyal users, each offering a different formula and way to help you catch those much-needed zzz’s. We’ll delve deeper into each of these products in the sections to follow.
Unisom is a sleep aid product that’s been available over the counter for some time now. The brand offers two major variants: Unisom SleepTabs and Unisom SleepGels. The primary active ingredient in Unisom SleepTabs is Doxylamine Succinate, an antihistamine, while Unisom SleepGels contain Diphenhydramine HCl. Both variants aim to help users fall asleep quickly and enjoy a restful night’s sleep.
About Tylenol PM
Tylenol PM is another widely used sleep aid that combines the power of Acetaminophen for pain relief with Diphenhydramine HCl to encourage sleep. This combination makes Tylenol PM a great choice for those struggling with sleep due to pain or discomfort. The brand has a long-standing reputation, thanks to its effectiveness and accessibility.
Unisom vs Tylenol PM: Ingredients
Both Unisom and Tylenol PM utilize antihistamines as their sleep-inducing ingredient. Unisom SleepTabs use Doxylamine Succinate while Unisom SleepGels and Tylenol PM use Diphenhydramine HCl.
Tylenol PM contains 500 mg of Acetaminophen and 25 mg of Diphenhydramine HCl per caplet3.
The difference comes with Tylenol PM’s inclusion of Acetaminophen, a pain reliever. This makes Tylenol PM a dual-purpose product – both a sleep aid and a painkiller.
Unisom also offers a non-drug version called Unisom Simple Slumbers, which is a dietary supplement. Instead of using antihistamines, Simple Slumbers uses a blend of Melatonin, vitamin B6, lemon balm extract, and passionflower, ingredients commonly found in natural sleep aids.
This option can be a good choice for those who prefer to avoid drug-based solutions for sleeplessness. However, as with any supplement, the effectiveness of natural ingredients can vary from person to person. If you’re considering this non-drug option, it’s still important to consult with your healthcare provider to ensure it’s suitable for your specific needs and conditions.
Unisom vs Tylenol PM: Safety & Quality
Unisom and Tylenol PM are generally considered safe for adults and children over the age of 12 for short-term use. As with any medication, they should be used as directed, and potential users with health conditions should consult their healthcare providers before starting. Overuse of these products can lead to dependence or other health issues. Regarding quality, both brands maintain high standards and comply with FDA regulations for over-the-counter medications.
Unisom vs Tylenol PM: Customer Reviews
Consumer feedback for both Unisom and Tylenol PM is generally positive. Unisom users often praise the product’s effectiveness in promoting sleep. On the other hand, Tylenol PM users appreciate its dual-action formula that addresses both pain and sleep issues. As with any product, effectiveness can vary from person to person, so reading a variety of reviews can provide a balanced perspective.
Price & Where to Buy
As of my search date, a pack of Unisom SleepGels (60 softgels) is priced around $13-17 on Walmart4.
Tylenol PM Extra Strength (100 caplets) is available on Amazon for approximately $13.495.
Please note that prices can vary by location and retailer, and they may have changed since my search date.
Unisom and Tylenol PM are available at most drugstores, supermarkets, and online. Price-wise, both products are relatively affordable, but prices can vary based on location and retailer. Online platforms like Amazon typically offer competitive prices and convenience, making it easier for consumers to compare costs and choose the best deal.
In conclusion, both Unisom and Tylenol PM are effective solutions for occasional sleeplessness. Unisom’s focus is purely on sleep, while Tylenol PM offers the added benefit of pain relief. If you’re dealing with sleep disturbances due to discomfort, Tylenol PM might be the better option. Conversely, if you’re just looking for a sleep aid, Unisom may suffice.
What do we recommend?
- Can you take Unisom and Tylenol PM together? It is not generally recommended to take Unisom and Tylenol PM together as both contain diphenhydramine, an antihistamine that can cause excessive sedation if overdosed. Combining the two can potentially lead to too much diphenhydramine in the body, which can be harmful.
- What is the main difference between Unisom and Tylenol PM? The main difference between the two lies in their additional ingredients. Unisom is primarily a sleep aid, containing diphenhydramine or doxylamine succinate (depending on the version) to promote sleep. Tylenol PM, on the other hand, not only contains diphenhydramine for sleep but also includes acetaminophen, a pain reliever and fever reducer.
- Which is more effective for sleep: Unisom or Tylenol PM? The effectiveness of Unisom versus Tylenol PM for sleep can depend on individual factors such as personal response to medication, the severity and cause of the insomnia, and whether pain is also a factor in the difficulty sleeping. Since Tylenol PM contains a pain reliever, it might be more effective for people whose sleep is disturbed due to pain.
- Are there any long-term side effects of taking Unisom or Tylenol PM? Long-term use of sleep aids like Unisom and Tylenol PM can potentially lead to dependence, where your body becomes accustomed to the medication and you may have trouble sleeping without it. Additionally, prolonged use of acetaminophen (found in Tylenol PM) can potentially lead to liver damage.
- Can pregnant women take Unisom or Tylenol PM? Unisom and Tylenol PM should only be used during pregnancy if the potential benefits justify the potential risk to the fetus. Always consult with a healthcare provider before using these medications if you are pregnant.